Tampere will host the football Homeless World Cup 2020
Every country can apply to send a men's/mixed and a women's team
- 24 август 2019, 17:00
- Monika Dimitrova
The Finnish city of Tampere announced that it will host the 18th Homeless World Cup in summer 2020. The week-long tournament will take place from 28 June to 6 July at Ratina stadium.
The rules of the sport event stipulate that eligible players must be over 16 years of age and currently in drug or alcohol rehabilitation programmes and/or have been homeless at some point in the past 2 years. Street paper vendors and asylum seekers with a residency status or without asylum status are also welcome to take part in the teams. Eventually 8 players will be appointed to a national team, based on their level of commitment, personal attitude and sporting skills. Every country can apply to send a men's/mixed and a women's team.
Curious facts and numbers:
- The Homeless World Cup is organised since 2003.
- More than 1 million people worldwide have participated in some way in the Homeless World Cup since the first tournament was arranged in Graz, Austria.
- Women's teams have played in the annual tournament since 2010.
- Finland has sent a team to the competition every year since 2006.
- The Homeless World Cup 2019 tournament was in Cardiff, Wales and attracted more than 500 players from over 50 countries.
Like the article? Subscribe to our newsletter to receive the latest from the EU cities right into your inbox.