Unlike other cities along the Adriatic coast, which were established by Greeks, Illyrians and Romans, Šibenik was founded by Croats. It was mentioned for the first time under its present name in 1066 in a Charter of the Croatian King Petar Kresimir IV and, for a period of time, it was a seat of this Croatian King. For that reason, Šibenik is also called "Krešimirov grad" (Krešimir's city).
Between 11th-12th centuries, Šibenik was tossed back and forth among Venice, Byzantium, and Hungary. It was conquered by the Republic of Venice in 1116, who held it until 1124, when they briefly lost it to the Byzantine Empire, and then held it again until 1133 when it was retaken by the Kingdom of Hungary. It would change hands among the aforementioned states several more times until 1180.
The city was given the status of a town in 1167 from Stephen III on Hungary. It received its own diocese in 1298.
In the 14th century, "Vlachs" were present in the hinterland of Šibenik.
The city, like the rest of Dalmatia, initially resisted the Republic of Venice, but it was taken over after a 3-year war in 1412. The Ottoman Empire started to threaten Šibenik, as part of their struggle against Venice, at the end of the 15th century, but they never succeeded in conquering it. In the 16th century, St.Nicholas Fortress was built and, by the 17th century, its fortifications were improved again by the fortresses of St. John (Tanaja) and Šubićevac (Barone).
The Morlachs started settling Šibenik during the Cretan War (1645-69).
The fall of the Republic of Venice in 1797 brought Sebenico under the authority of the Habsburg Monarchy.
After the Congress of Vienna until 1918, the town was (again) part of the Austrian monarchy, head of the district of the same name, one of the Kingdom of Dalmatia.
In 1872, at the time in the Kingdom of Dalmatia, Ante Supak became the town's first Croat mayor elected under universal suffrage. He was instrumental in the process of the modernization of the city, and is particularly remembered for the 1895 project to provide street lights. On 28 August 1895, Šibenik became the world's first city with alternating current-powered street lights.
After World War I, Šibenik was occupied by the Kingdom of Italy until 12 June 1921. As a result of the Treaty of Rapallo, the Italians gave up their claim to the city and it became a part of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes. During World War II it was occupied by Fascist Italy and Nazi Germany. Communist partisans liberated Šibenik on 3 November 1944.
After World War II it became a part of the SFR Yugoslavia until Croatia declared independence in 1991.
Šibenik, the oldest native Croatian city on the Adriatic, is located in the most protected natural harbour, in the centre of the eastern coast of the Adriatic Sea, at the mouth of the beautiful Krka River.
Šibenik has 47,274 inhabitants (2011) and is the capital as well as the cultural, educational, administrative and economic centre of the County of Šibenik and Knin.
Address: Trg palih branitelja Domovinskog rata I, 22000 Šibenik
The city of Šibenik is on a centric location on the Adriatic Croatian coast, between two airports and by the main A1 highway. The city commercial port is one of the 6 ports open to public traffic with special (international) economic interest for the Republic of Croatia. Although industry in Šibenik today is in slow decline, it still remains important for overall employment and the business sector, together with the city’s trade and the commercial harbour. After a transition period (1990-2005) Šibenik lost most of its industry while tourism became a focus of economic development.
In 2015 the city received its first tertiary studies programme with the Polytechnic University.
Podi Inustrial zone located in Šibenik is the alrgest industrial zone in Croatia. The position of the zone and its transportation connections contribute to its business success. The Agency for Investment and Competitiveness of the Republic of Croatia has proclaimed Podi the best entrepreneurship zone in Croatia.
With its compact old town riddled with medieval alleys and stairways, Šibenik, is a characteristically atmospheric Adriatic town. A ring of fortresses and a spectacular Renaissance cathedral, provide the city with the big-league tourist attractions. On July 7, 2017, St. Nicholas Fort was added on the prestige list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites, joining the Cathedral of St. James as the second world heritage site in Šibenik!
The city has a rich cultural UNESCO heritage and two national parks at 30 km distance. Combined with the sun-and-beach attraction, all this resulted in the number of tourists doubling in 10 years (2004 to 2014), mostly coming from Germany, Austria and Slovenia.