5 best place to visit in Cyprus
Choose your next holiday destination
- April 21, 2018 10:00
- Monika Dimitrova
Cyprus is well known for its warm weather and scenic beaches, but that isn’t everything the island has to offer. You’ll also find quaint historic villages, ancient ruins, incredible mountains and wonderful, vibrant cities. See it all by incorporating as many of the best places to visit in Cyprus into your next vacation itinerary.
- On the southwestern tip of the island is the coastal town of Paphos, commonly referred to as the birthplace of Aphrodite. Ruins and archeology are the main attractions in Paphos, and you won’t want to miss the Roman ruins called the House of Dionysus and the House of Theseus, the Tombs of the Kings or the Odeon, a classic Greek amphitheater where plays and other live performances are still offered.
- After the capital city, Limassol is the largest urban destination on the island of Cyprus. It is a major sea port, and over the last few decades it has become a major tourism destination for those in search of sun and sand. The Old Town of Limassol is the best place to start your time in the city, and you won’t want to miss a tour of the impressive Limassol Castle.
- If nightlife is what you’re after, then the resort destination of Ayia Napa is the perfect spot to visit. The Square is the hub for what happens after sunset, and there are countless bars and clubs located there that stay open until dawn. This is the place to be for live music, great drinks and a vibrant, youthful atmosphere. During the day, be sure to check out Ayia Napa’s wonderful beaches like Nissi Beach, Grecian Bay and Makronissos Beach.
- In the southwest of the island, the towering Troodos Mountains stand as a major destination for outdoor recreation in Cyprus. You can hike to the rushing waters of the Caledonia Falls, hike over the Milia Medieval Bridge or rent a mountain bike and explore the miles of trails up the mountains as well as around the foothills. There are also many small, traditional villages in the Troodos Mountains, and you may wish to visit charming landmarks like the Byzantine Timios Stavros Church or the Archangel Michael Church.
- Historaical evidence shows that Larnaca is likely the oldest city in Cyprus, boasting a history that dates back more than 6,000 years. History enthusiasts should tour the ninth century Church of St. Lazarus or the impressive Faneromeni Church. For an adventure, head to the Larnaca Salt Lake to spot pink flamingos, or dive down to explore the incredible wreck of the Zenobia, a major attraction for scuba divers in Cyprus.
TheMayor.EU stands against fake news and disinformation. If you encounter such texts and materials online, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org