Plzen was first mentioned in 976 as a battle scene. In 1295, Plzen was given a charter as "Royal city". It became a central trade route, becoming the third largest center in the Bohemia region during the 14th century. The printing press was introduced in Plzen in 1468 and Bohema had its first published book printed on this press. The city began growing and developing and in the 19th century it started industrializing. Today, the city is an important trade center and a famous tourist destination.
Plzen is located in western Bohemia region, about 90 kilometers west of the Czech capital - Prague. It is the fourth most populous city in the Czech Republic - 169,033 inhabitants as of 2015.
nám. Republiky 1, 301 00
Plzeň 3, Czechia
The western part of the Czech Republic recognized Plzen as a center of education and science, business and culture. Foreign investment has been growing since the 1990s. The total GDP of Plzen is about $7.2 billion, or abour GDP of $44,000 per capita. One of the most important elements of the economy of Plzen is the automobile industry represented by Skoda, established there in 1859.
The Gothic Cathedral in Plzen is one of the most spectacular tourist attractions in the city. It dates back to the 13th century. The second largest synagogue in Europe is located in Plzen, after the one in Budapest. Plzen was the European capital of culture in 2015.