Italian municipalities in smart working mode to guarantee services to citizens
Working at a distance has become the new normal during the COVID-19 emergency
- April 10, 2020 09:30
- Monika Dimitrova
There are many Italian municipalities that immediately adapted to the situation in the context of the management of the Coronavirus emergency. Not only large municipalities but also small centres and administrations have chosen smart working as the ordinary form of carrying out work at this time.
Many municipalities had experimented with this way of working for a long time. Others, however, have transitioned into high-tech mode over just a few weeks, except in some cases which require the presence of staff in the municipal office. Many workings are also reduced and in rotational mode, ANCI informs.
How do the Municipalities of Milan, Turin, Venice and Rome work during the COVID-19 emergency?
The Municipality of Milan reactivated the smart working procedures for its employees on the occasion of the closure of the first red area of Codogno. The smart working as an ordinary mode of performance of the work already affects over 4 thousand employees of the municipality.
According to data collected by the administration of the Municipality of Turin, almost 40% of municipal employees are working from home. The municipal police force, however, is the one with the lowest percentage of 5.59% or 100 employees out of 1790 who work from home.
Since 17 March, the municipal administration of Venice has reduced the movement in the city and islands to a minimum. More than 1,900 of the 2,700 employees no longer have to leave their homes on a daily basis, guaranteeing at the same time services to citizens.
Some 498 are those who, according to national provisions, are already not operating at their previous headquarters, such as educational services and libraries, while over 1,450 are already put into smart working mode.
In Rome, some 9,000 municipal employees already work from home. In total, the municipality of the Italian capital has 23,000 employees and among these there are 6,000 teachers who have long suspended teaching and 6,000 Local Police officers who are largely operating across the city.
From the other 11,000 employees - about 80% are working from home. The remaining 20% carry out activities that are related to the Coronavirus emergency or other essential services.
TheMayor.EU stands against fake news and disinformation. If you encounter such texts and materials online, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org