There is now a response plan for nuclear emergencies in Castilla-La Mancha
The Regional Government in this part of Spain wants to be proactive
- August 30, 2020 18:00
- Tzvetozar Vincent Iolov
Yesterday the official website of the Government of Castilla-La Mancha informed citizens that its representatives had signed an agreement with the Nuclear Safety Council (CSN) of Spain giving the basics for an emergency response plan in the case of nuclear and radiation incidents. This agreement, which has already been published in the autonomous community’s official gazette, will have a validity of four years.
Emergency situations require fast and established procedures
The agreement provides for a well-established set of actions which will see the co-operation between the two institutions in matters relating to the preparation, implementation and maintenance of the effectiveness of nuclear emergency plans. The CSN will act as an expert advisory body to the regional Ministry of Finances and Public Administration.
The inter-institutional agreement has several aspects, among which:
- The coordination of emergency management and civil protection organizations in the region,
- Joint action in research, exercises and drills aimed at improving the existing plans,
- Coordination work in the acquisition of equipment and materials needed in times of crisis situations,
- Exchange of information related to facilities and activities that may present a nuclear risk, so that the population will be aware of the characteristics, risks and response guidelines,
- The CSN takes on the responsibility to provide training and expertise to the personnel that will be responsible for this sort of emergencies,
- Communication channels between both parties for speedy action in the event of nuclear incidents allowing for the immediate organization of civil protection services, such as healthcare, firefighters and rescuers.
Now that the agreement is a reality, what follows is the establishment of a specialized commission, made up of three members from each party, that will be watching out for the correct development and fulfilment of the response plans.
TheMayor.EU stands against fake news and disinformation. If you encounter such texts and materials online, contact us at email@example.com