Who brings the presents on Christmas around Europe?
Father Christmas isn’t the one bringing the gifts
- December 25, 2018 10:00
- Monika Dimitrova
Santa Claus or Father Christmas, English-speakers have many names for the festive figure who brings presents to the children of the world, but what is the case in Europe? Naturally, different names are used in different languages, but as well as this alternative traditions and cultures in various European countries mean that Father Christmas isn’t the one bringing the gifts at Christmas time. So if it’s not Santa, then who are the generous gift-givers around Europe?
- Britain Father Christmas
- France Le père Noël (Saint Nicolas in north-eastern France)
- Germany Baby Jesus
- Greece Aghios Vassilis / Άγιος Βασίλης (Saint Basil) on January 1
- Hungary Baby Jesus
- Italy Babbo Natale on December 25, la Befana on January 6
- Poland Saint Nicholas, although it can differ by regions
- Portugal Baby Jesus, traditionally. But it’s changed to Pai Natal or Santa Clause