During the Roman period Poros was part of the Roman Empire along with Trizina, to which it was a tributary. During Byzantine times, Poros were often attacked by the pirates who dominated the Aegean Sea.
The Venetians occupied Poros in 1484 and used it as a strategic port in their sea battles with the Ottomans. At that time Poros was the most powerful city of the wider area, also governing Methana Island, Epidaurus, Damalas (Trizina), Valario and Fanari. In this period, Paros island had about 15,000 inhabitants, making it one of the largest cities in Greece. In 1715 the Venetian rule ended.
The Ottoman Period in Poros began in 1715, much later than in the rest of the country. Shipping and commerce were the main activities of the inhabitants of Poros.
The island had a key role during the Greek Revolution in 1821, due to its strategic position. Poros was the place where the Greek revolutionary leaders, often met to discuss and plan their future actions. In 1828 in Poros was established the first Greek naval base and remained there until 1878. In September 1828, the ambassadors of France, England and Russia met in Poros with Ioannis Kapodistrias in order to determine the borders of the future Greek state, which was established in 1830.
Russia secured free shipping for its navy throughout the waters of the Ottoman Empire. As Russian naval activity developed, need arose for a supply station, and land was acquired at Poros town. Extensive materiel, coal, and food storage facilities were created, as well as a hardtack baking factory. The number of Russian residents in Poros increased and even a Russian school was created. In the early 20th century the Russian naval activity declined, and the abandoned buildings were left to decay. In 1989 the ruins in elaborately carved stone, were listed as protected architectural monuments.
Poros is a small island-pair in the southern part of the Saronic Gulf in Greece about 58 km south from Piraeus and separated from the Peloponnese by a 200 m wide sea channel. Its surface area is 23 sq. km. The population approximately is 4.000.
Address: Karamanos Sq. 7, Poros 18020
Among the main the activities of the Poros’ inhabitants are tourism, fishing and agriculture (mainly wheat, grapevines and olives).
Poros it is a popular weekend destination for Athenian travellers. It has a good road network and adequate tourist infrastructure, which makes it a popular resort for short holidays.
Russian Naval Base
Poros was the site of the first naval base in modern Greece, established in 1827 during the Greek War of Independence. Most of the activities of Poros naval base were moved to Salamis Naval Base in 1881. The site is still used today by the Hellenic Navy as a training centre for naval personnel.
Holy Monastery of Zoodochos Pigi
The Holy Monastery of Zoodochos Pigi, founded in 1720 AD is located 4 km east of the main city of Poros island is built on the slope of a pine forest. In 1814, a group of monks from Mount Athos, took refuge in this Monastery. A few years later, these monks founded the Zoodochos Pigi Monastery at Longovarda in this island of Paros. Katholiko, Is a basilica with a dome and a tower like belfry being the main church of the monastery.
The Archeological Museum of Poros, located at Korizis Square was built in the 1960s on a plot of land donated by the Koryzis family. It houses findings from the Sanctuary of Poseidon, from ancient Troizen, and from other archaeological sites nearby.