There are very few cities in the world whose exact date of establishment is known by historians and the city of Karlovac is one of them. Namely, the city was established on 13 July 1579. It was named after its founder, Archduke Charles of Habsburg. This early period of the city’s history was also marked by the beginning of works on the erection of the military frontier fortification, which served as a defence against Ottoman attacks. The City Day of Karlovac is celebrated every year on July 13, on which occasion the local city authorities organise a birthday ball at the Ban Josip Jelačić Square, the City Council holds a ceremonial sitting and people with notable achievements are presented with awards. The patron saint of the city is Saint Joseph, whose feast is celebrated on March 19. The central celebration of the Feast of Saint Joseph is held in the Saint Joseph Church located in the city area of Karlovac called Dubovac, which has the status the national shrine of Saint Joseph.
In 1778, Karlovac got its first city government, and in 1781 the city was granted the status of “a royal free city” by virtue of a Decree issued by Emperor Joseph II. The city was built in accordance with the latest construction standards of its time: it was built in the Renaissance style and has a geometrically regular shape of a six-pointed star. Pursuant to the urban plan from the late 19th and early 20th century, it was decided that municipal palaces would be constructed, and that parks and woodlands would be landscaped along the edges of the fortification. It is thus that Karlovac became and still remains a city that is on one hand a typical Renaissance-style town and on the other a hexagonal fortification with bastions and a grid plan of streets running at right angles. It is this interesting combination that makes Karlovac a unique European city.
Surrounded by the rivers Kupa, Korana, Dobra and Mrežnica, the city of Karlovac is situated in central Croatia, at the junction between lowland and mountainous Croatia and between Pokupje and Kordun Regions. The population (as of 2011) is 55.705.
Address: Banjavčićeva 9, 47 000 Karlovac
Located in the narrowest part of Croatia and that is situated at a 50 km distance from Slovenia on one side and Bosnia and Herzegovina on the other side, the city of Karlovac has always been an important transport corridor and economic centre of the region.
Ever since its establishment, the urban development of Karlovac has been oriented toward major roads connecting the Adriatic ports and the continental Europe. Proof of this are historical roads Carolina, Josephina and Louisiana. It was thanks to these roads that Karlovac became an important trade and transport corridor, which status it still has today. Karlovac is only 50 km away from Croatia’s capital Zagreb and some 90 km away from Rijeka, the main Croatian seaport. Its highly favourable geo-traffic position is also reflected in the distance with respect to some of the most important centres of the wider region. Point-to-point distance from Karlovac to Ljubljana is 104 km, to Sarajevo 386 km, whereas the distance from Karlovac to Budapest is about 400 km. Austria’s capital Vienna is also in the immediate vicinity, i.e. at 410 km distance.
Karlovac is a city built and thought out taking full advantage of its surroundings. In green valleys of four rivers, beneath the Dubovac old town, filled with hundred year old parks and promenades, bicycling routes, deeply rooted in traditions of culture, sports, trades and commerce.