Available in: Dalies ar rakstu

The Suspension Bridge - the Craiova Nicolae Romanescu Park's main attraction has been renovated

The facility has recently undergone a restoration process and has been reopened to pedestrian traffic

  • 2020. gada 11. Oktobris, 15:00:00
  • Author Monika Dimitrova
Medium suspension bridge
Avots: Craiova Municipality

The main attraction of Nicolae Romanescu Park in the Romanian town of Craiova – the Suspension Bridge has undergone a restoration process and has been reopened to pedestrian traffic. An extremely important component of the rehabilitation process was to ensure the safety of people, mainly through the verification of cable voltages. Once those essential works were completed and certified and safety measures were ensured, traffic was resumed on the bridge in one direction - from the Enchanted Castle to its southern foot.

It is considered the largest natural park in Eastern Europe

Nicolae Romanescu Park is the largest and most famous park in Craiova, being declared a historical monument. At the initiative of Nicolae P. Romanescu, the mayor of Craiova at that time, the park was designed by the French architect Édouard Redont.

In 1900, the park's plans were awarded several gold medals at the Paris World's Fair (1900). Construction then began in 1901 and was finalized in 1903.

Over the years it has had several names: Bibescu Park - after the name of the garden on which it was built, Independence Park (in front of the main entrance there was until the end of World War II a beautiful monument dedicated to independence, unfortunately disappeared today), the People's Park - until 1989 and nowadays - Nicolae Romanescu Park.

The total area of ​​the park is over 96 hectares and includes, in addition to ornamental plantations of trees and shrubs, a stretch of water of over 4 ha, consisting of a series of ponds with water lilies connected by small waterfalls or crossed by bridges, shelter for many species of waterfowl, fish, turtles, a lake with pleasure boats and an island that can be reached on 2 bridges.

The park also boasts a racecourse of 20 ha, a velodrome, roads, alleys and paths that total over 35 km in length and bicycle tracks. The park also has an amphitheater for outdoor performances, one of the oldest zoos in the country, opened in 1906, and several restaurants.



TheMayor.EU stands against fake news and disinformation. If you encounter such texts and materials online, contact us at info@themayor.eu