Thumb r%c3%a2mnicu v%c3%a2lcea Râmnicu Vâlcea

Default r%c3%a2mnicu v%c3%a2lcea2
Källa: Râmnicu Vâlcea Municipality
Bigger thumb mircia gut%c4%83u Mayor

Mircia Gutău

Biografi

Kortfattad bakgrund

Once, here stood the old Dacian city of Buridava, then the Roman fortress (Castrum) from the time Roman Emperor Trajan led his troops on Via Trajan ("Calea lui Traian", meaning the Road of Trajan) in the second war of the conquest of Dacia, between 105-106 B.C.

The small town situated on the trade road that linked the Eastern and the Western part of the world was emphasized after more than a millennium of anonymity by Mircea the Elder (1355 - 1418), King of Ancient Wallachia. He  mentioned for the first time in an official document the name "Râmnic" in a statement issued in 1388 on the 20th of May and gave the town the rank of "Royal City".

Ramnicu Valcea was also a "Royal City" for Matei Basarab (1580 - 1654) who set up a printing house (typography) at the Govora Monastery, the place where the "Code of Laws from Govora" - the oldest collection of laws printed in Wallachia - was printed. The printing activity increased during the reign of Constantin Brancoveanu (1654-1714) who brought Antim Ivireanul to Ramnicu Valcea in 1705, as the new Bishop of the Valcea County. It was then that Ramnicu Valcea became one of the most important printing centers of its time.

The people of Ramnicu Valcea made history again on 29 July 1848, when, assembled in big number in the place of the current Zăvoi Park, sang the current National Romanian Anthem for the first time in an official meeting. The song "Awaken thee, Romanian!" was written by Anton Pann with Andrei Muresanu's lyrics.

The municipality of Râmnicu Vâlcea has approximately 120.000 inhabitants. It is the capital town of Valcea County, spreads in the hilly area of the Meridional Carpathians, at an average altitude of 250 m, on the right bank of the Olt River, at its confluence with the Olanesti River. It is located 180 km far from Bucharest, 118 km from Craiova, 100 km from Sibiu, 130 km from Târgu Jiu and 60 km from Pitesti. 

The economy of Râmnicu Vâlcea and its adjacent areas cover a wide range of industries. The chemical industry is one of the mainstays and is represented by OLTCHIM (under privatization) and CIECH - Govora (former USG). The engineering industry produces various equipment through the VILMAR and WIPRO Infrastructure Engineering companies. The building materials industry is represented by DAMILA and the automotive equipment industry by FAURECIA.

The food industry has a large number of local firms with national expansion including DIANA, ANNABELLA or BOROMIR, and the textile industry has a long tradition here and it is represented by FAVIL and MINET. The wood industry is represented by COZIAFOREST and the transport industry by ANTARES or DACOS.

The research area is represented by the Institute of Cryogenics and Isotopic Separation (ICSI), winner of numerous international awards for innovation.

TOURISM

Biggest thumb r%c3%a2mnicu v%c3%a2lcea3
Källa: Râmnicu Vâlcea Municipality
  • The Archdiocesan Church of St. Nicholas rebuilt in 1856 and painted by the famous Romanian painter Gheorghe Tatarescu.
  • Paraskeva Church, the oldest church in town preserved as it was originally conceived in 1557.
  • Cetatuia Hermitage lying on the hill with the same name at the Northern entrance of the town where its founder Radu from Afumaţi (The Ruler of 20 Wars) was assassinated with his son in 1529 by hostile nobles.
  • The most important monument of the town is the Statue of Independence, at the foot of Capela Hill, dating from 1915 and dedicated to the memory of the Valcea County's heroes killed in combats during the War of Independence (1877-1878).
  • Another monument was built up in 1920 in honor of Prince Barbu Stirbei, who gave in 1850 a Royal Decree in which the Zavoi Park was mentioned as a place for "the community's promenades", becoming one of the Romanian oldest parks organized as parks for promenades.
  • A tribute to Ruler Mircea the Elder has always been a must visit for the people of Râmnicu Valcea, so since 1970 its Statue has guarded the main entrance in the town park that bears the same name.
  • The History Museum is located in a building dating from the late nineteenth century.
  • The Art Museum is located in a wonderful 1940 building built in a Mediterranean architectural style.
  • The building that shelters the Anton Pann Memorial House is a monument of urban architecture from the mid-eighteenth century.