Historical sources reveal that the name Grosuplje was first mentioned in written documents in 1136 as Groslupp.
The Slovenian town developed into a truly important road and railway junction in the XIX century – with the creation of the the road link between Krka Valley and Žužemberk in 1869.
The railway line Ljubljana - Kočevje was built through Grosuplje in 1893, and one year later the first train ride from Ljubljana to Novo mesto took place through the city. The railway brought about rapid development to the area. People from the surrounding settlements began to visit the local pubs, and shops that were reselling the goods and market surpluses of the surrounding farmers.
The local people were mostly farmers, carters, millers, and they dealt in the leather and brick industry. Near Šmarje they also cultivated flax and hemp.
After World War II, the village began to spread rapidly and developed into an economic and administrative centre, but also into the centre in the very physical meaning of the word, since most of the country’s communication network flows into Grosuplje.