Mittstråket provides the freedom of choice
The territory of what is modern day Ljubljana was once inhabited by Celtic tribes. Due to its central location on the continent it is considered a crossroads for many peoples. Around the year 50 BC the Romans created a military outpost in the area, while later in the Middle Ages the city slowly began to take shape south of the banks of the Sava River. In the 12th century a rapid settlement of the territories began, bringing urban economy development. Impressive works of art, as well as architecture brought fame to Ljubljana all across Europe. In the early 19th century, the city was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, but after its collapse in the aftermath of the First World War, it became part of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. After the Second World War, Ljubljana was chosen to be the capital of the Socialist Republic of Slovenia. In 1991 the country became independent.
Ljubljana is the capital and largest city in Slovenia, with a population of nearly 280,000, with over 537,000 inhabitants in the whole municipal area. The area of the city is 163.8sq.km, divided into 17 administrative districts.
Since 1991, Ljubljana has been Slovenia's economic, cultural, educational, research, political and administrative center. At the heart of the economy of the city is the industry, which is the main employer of the population of the capital. The pharmaceutical, petroleum and food industries are the most developed ones.
Over 21 million tourists visit Ljubljana each year. In the city tourists can see beautiful parks, bridges, museums and castles. The medieval castle in Ljubljana dates back to the 11th century and today it is a major venue for various cultural events. One of the most famous bridges in the city is the Dragon Bridge, built in the early 20th century, specifically in 1901. Other sites include the Ljubljana City Museum, the National Gallery and the Zoo.