The village of Ghajnsielem is located on Malta’s sister-island Gozo. Its name is composed of ‘Ghajn’ (spring of) and ‘Is-sliem’ (peace).
Ghajnsielem was among the last settlements to develop on the island. Its site was close to a landing zone at a time when the Mediterranean was infested with pirates.
It was only after the mid-17th century, when Grazes Tower (overlooking Mgarr harbour) and, later, Fort Chambray guaranteed the safety of the area, that the first farmhouses were built close to the spring that gave name to the village.
On 5th September 1800, the British took the Maltese islands and thereby Malta and Gozo became a British Crown Colony in 1813. Fort Chambray was hence put to good use by the British which generated trade and jobs for many Ghajnsilmizi. In the meantime, the population had increased significantly and Ghajnsielem was in the process of becoming a Parish.
In 1854, the region became a vice parish and the procedure for the establishment of a parish was launched. Ghajnsielem was officially established as a parish on the 26th of January 1855.
The Second World War brought profound change to the village and led to emigration due to the lack of job opportunities. However, the development of Mgarr harbour in the late sixties helped Gozo get back to life and bring prosperity for Ghajnsielem.