Aiud (in Hungarian - Enyed, Nagyenyed, in German - Strassburg am Mieresch) draws its name from Saint Egidus (Saint Gilles in French, in Italian Sant'Egidio and Hungarian Szent Egyed).
It is an old locality, on its territory being found the ancient Roman settlement called Brucla. The first documentary testimony dates from 1293, in an act issued by King Ladislaus IV of Hungary, when the population was mostly made of Saxons. With the Reformation and the embrace of the religious doctrines by a large number of inhabitants, the city was Magyarized and became the most active cultural and educational center of Calvinism in Transylvania. Its medieval history, as a burg at the conjunction of important commercial routes, is intertwined with that of Transylvania - a past marked by ups and downs and sprinkled with countless bloody confrontations.