The oldest archeological remains on the territory of Dobrich date back to the Antiquity. In the early Middle Ages there existed for a short time a fortified old Bulgarian settlement. The present city emerged in the 16th century under the name Hadjioglu Pazardzhik. Legend has it that Dobrich was founded by the rich merchant Hadjioglu. According to historical sources, the city was created by a family of the same name. It was mentioned as a small village with 14 households. Just a quarter of a century later the village was mentioned in documents as a city, and another half a century afterwards it was also the center of a large district.
Located on an important strategic road linking the center of the Ottoman Empire with the trans-Danube lands, Dobrich quickly became a lively agricultural and trade center. And in the 19th century, it became famous for its annual fair, which attracted traders from all over the empire.
On January 27, 1878, Hadjioglu Pazardzhik was liberated from Ottoman rule. In 1882, at the insistence of its citizens, it was renamed after the Bulgarian ruler Dobrotitsa, who in the fourteenth century ruled the despotism of Dobrudzha.
Ever since, the city has retained its importance as the administrative, economic and cultural center of South Dobrudzha. During the Romanian rule (1913-1916; 1919-1940) Dobrich was one of the centers of the national liberation struggle. It is no coincidence that during the First World War, between 5 and 7 September 1916, the city was defended in bloody battles, which remained in Bulgarian history as the Dobrich Epopee.
With the signing of the Treaty of Craiova on September 7, 1940, South Dobrudzha was returned to Bulgaria. On September 25, Bulgarian troops entered the city, which is why the day was declared an official holiday of Dobrich.