The municipality of Gooise Meren was established in 2016 after the merger of Bussum, Muiden and Naarden municipalities.
Bussum was first mentioned in the early fourteenth century and was dependent on Naarden until 1817. Its growth and development began in 1874 with the opening of two railway stations. Not long after it became a satellite town to the capital Amsterdam.
The city of Muiden was mentioned for the first time in late 10th century and was granted a city status in 1122 by Emperor Henry V. It is home to the Fort Pampus Island built between 1887 and 1897 which for decades has been used to defend the harbour of Amsterdam. The largest Jewish cemetery in the country is located in Muiderberg, formerly within Muiden municipality. The cemetery was founded back in 1642 and later merged with a Polish Jewish cemetery.
Finally, Naarden was given city rights in 1300 and gradually developed into a fortified town with strong textile industry. It became rallying point for Allied bombers returning to England after raids on Germany due to its extraordinary shape.