Tychy was established as a small agricultural settlement near the medieval trade route connecting Oświęcim and Mikołów. It was first mentioned in historical documents in 1467.
In the 17th century, it was one of the wealthiest villages in the Pszczyna poviat. From 1629, the Prince's Brewery operated here, hops and barley were grown, fishery, crafts and industry developed.
An independent forest office operated in the palace erected in the mid-17th century by Promniców. Until the mid-nineteenth century, Tychy was the property of feudal lords, headed by the so-called Pszczyna state. In 1870, the first railway line connecting Tychy with Katowice and Szopienice was built.
Integration into Poland
It was in Tychy on the night of 16-17 August 1919 that the first Silesian Uprising began, which ended with the insurgents taking over the village. During the plebiscite that was then organised, most residents voted in favour of belonging to Poland.
In the aftermath, Tychy began to develop and acquire the characteristics of an urban settlement. In the interwar period, as part of the autonomous Silesian Voivodeship, the population of Tychy increased to 11,000.
At that time, among others, a hospital, fire station, post office, school, swimming pool, bowling alley and chain of shops and restaurants were created. On January 1, 1934, Tychy obtained the rights of a municipal commune.
The war operations of 1939 did not cause much damage, because the main fights were conducted on section Mikołów - Wyry. During the war and as a result of extermination, however, over 500 city residents were killed.
The post-war history of the city began on October 4, 1950, when the Presidium of the Government decided to build Nowa Tychów (New Tychy). A year later the city was granted its city rights.
The first housing estate was built according to the design of Tadeusz Teodorowicz - Todorowski, and the next ones were the work of Kazimierz Wejchert and Hanna Adamczewska - Wejchert.
The expansion of Tychy was the result of plans to create housing facilities for the Upper Silesian Industrial District. Tychy was to become the first and largest city in the satellite system of the Upper Silesian agglomeration. The city developed very dynamically, attracting a number of important industrial investments, thanks to which it gained the status of an independent urban centre.
Source: Tychy Town Hall